Chateau Picoron Free tasting 29 September 2023
Discover the wines in tasting
Chateau Picoron, Bordeaux France
At Château Picoron, we explore the potential of the great grape of Merlot, grown in plots surrounding the Château. Our wines are not Blended. Each is produced of single plot grapes, from our 4.5ha vineyard. An honest expression of our terroir on the famous St Emilion clay & limestone ridge.
Our wines are made following the Ouvipo philosophy (Ouvroir de Vins Potentiels). Made honoring natural and self-imposed constraints. The constraints of our region, Bordeaux, its varietals and the changing climate are the catalyst for our creation.
In the end, the rules that constrict us
set us free.
- Our wines are not a blend of areas of vines, but a transparent and honest expression of a specific place: the famous St Emilion clay limestone ridge. We vinify our wines plot by plot, without blending, to produce only a few hundred cases. The result is the true expression of the terroir.
- We celebrate the past and future of merlot, the first grape variety planted in Bordeaux. However, as the climate changes our environment, we must adapt. In doing so, we do not seek to control our ecosystem, but instead learn to coexist with it, challenging traditional methods of vinification, through creativity and self expression.
- We produce hand made wines which celebrate that past, while also inspiring the next generation. winemaking at our estate began over 2000 years ago, and from 1570 continued by the Picoron family. Since 2015 Glenda & Frank Kalyk and our Australian family are pursuing this legacy, celebrating the history of our winery and the future of Bordeaux region.
- We believe nature to be our greatest collaborator. when it comes to producing our wine, less is more. Less additives, interventions, and attempts to change what nature is. Our wine is produced sustainably using organic practices, without animal products and with minimal intervention.
- At Chateau Picoron we do not replicate, we innovate. We do not seek to be compared, but to express wines which are uniquely ours, to share with friends and family. We experiment, pioneer and create. Our wines are all unique expression of Merlot, inspired by traditional French wine techniques, not bound by them. Harnessing the constraints upon us, we find freedom to invent, and showcase the potential of the Merlot berry.